Friday, December 6

My Christmas Boy

Avery's 5th birthday is tomorrow.  I had decided that we wouldn't decorate the house for Christmas until after his birthday party.  Last year it seemed like the birthday party decorations clashed with the Christmas decorations and it was all a little too much.  But when I told Avery about my plan he almost started to cry and said, "I want to decorate for Christmas and I'm your Christmas Boy."  I'm always telling him that his birthday is at Christmastime and that he is my Christmas Boy, the best Christmas present I've ever been given!  So needless to say, we decorated for Christmas and now he's a perfectly happy little boy.  I was reminded that making my little guy happy is much more important than how the house looks.

Today was a fun day.  They celebrated Avery's birthday at pre-K.  He took brownies for the kids to eat.  No frosting, no nuts, no sprinkles.  Just plain.  He's my no nonsense, no fluff  boy.  He was the "calendar kid" and got to come to the foyer with his teacher to tell the mothers that his class was ready to go home.
 
Then after school this afternoon Clark took a little short break from work and we went downtown to the convention center where there were beautiful decorated Christmas trees on display that will be  auctioned off for charity this evening.  We enjoyed looking at all the pretty trees of course but the best part of it all for Avery was that Santa was there and Avery got to visit with him.  He was too nervous and flustered to remember what he wanted to ask Santa to bring for Christmas but Santa told him that was okay and that he still had two more weeks to decide.
 
As we were walking away from Santa, Avery said the cutest thing to me.  He said, "I can't believe Sister Claus gave me a candy cane!"  For those of you who are not members of our church you may not see the humor in this, but in our church we teach our children to call adults by "Brother So and So" or "Sister So and So.  So I thought it was cute that he called her "Sister Claus."
 
After leaving the Christmas tree display we went next door to the Marriott hotel lobby where they had a little Christmas village display.  We all enjoyed looking at that for quite some time.

 
Needless to say we are all in the Christmas spirit now.  And we're excited for Avery's birthday tomorrow!
 
 
 
 


No comments: