Monday, November 21

Thankful Thoughts

"The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts.  No Americans have been more impoverished than these who , nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving."
- H. U. Westermayer

"The unthankful heart...discovers no mercies, but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessing!"
- Henry Ward Beecher

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.  It turns what we have into enough, and more."
- Melodie Beattie

I have always loved Thanksgiving.  As a child, I truly enjoyed going to one of my grandmother's homes and enjoying a delicious turkey feast with relatives.  I loved the smells of wonderful things cooking in the kitchen, I loved helping my aunts and sisters set the long table with the nicest dishes an silverware, and I loved helping dry the dishes in the kitchen after the meal was over. 

Now as an adult, I still love Thanksgiving.  And now I understand more fully the importance of having a grateful heart.  There are so many things I'm thankful for...but mostly for family.  Without  family, all my other blessings would be less meaningful.

No comments: