Life has been crazy busy lately. We've had illnesses, spring yard work, a business trip for Clark, I hosted a baby shower for our new neighbors, Clark and I have both had a multitude of church responsibilities ( I was in charge of planning a meal last night for a women's activity - grateful to have that assignment behind me now!), homework for my on-line class to renew my teaching certificate, soccer lessons, preschool, and Joy School activities. There has been a lot going on around here. Blogging has kind of fallen by the wayside. I'm hoping to get back at it now as things start to calm down a bit.
So here are some cute things Avery has said recently:
Clark was preparing to leave for the Death Penalty Conference up in Monterey a few weeks ago. Avery and I were not going along because we were both recovering from illnesses. As Clark was preparing to depart, he had this conversation with Avery...
Clark: You're going to have to take good care of Mommy while I'm gone. She's still a little sick.
Avery: Take care of Mommy?! But I'm only a little kid!
*******
And then one night last week, Clark was getting Avery into bed. He was attempting to sing a song that I usually sing to Avery. But Clark didn't know all the words and so he was just making up words as he went along. Suddenly Avery blurted out, "Mommy is a great singer at this song. You're not!"
*******
And last but certainly not least - (this is not something comical Avery said but rather something comical he did yesterday)....
Yesterday afternoon I was busy with food preparations for the church meal I was in charge of last night. Avery was entertaining himself by dumping out all of his toys in the middle of the floor and trying on all the pairs of underwear in a new package I had just purchased for him. Although he was making a huge mess and I don't usually like to let him wander around the house only in underwear, I was not making a big deal about it because I really needed to do my cooking and Avery seemed happy and content with these activities. Suddenly and without warning he took off running out of the room and I heard the garage door opening. I quickly turned off the stove to go see what was up. (Lately Avery has a new hobby of trying to climb on top of our cars - and I mean literally on the very top of them. We have to watch him like a hawk because we have found him sitting on top of a car in the garage on a couple of occasions lately.) Well this time he wasn't trying to climb on top of my car. Instead he had pulled out his scooter and he was riding down the street wearing only his underwear and a pair of socks. I was yelling at him to stop...but Avery is not the type of child to stop just because you ask him to. He needs a much more significant reason. So here I am running down our street chasing my half naked child on a scooter. Finally he stopped at the end of the street ( the point at which he knows he's in big trouble if he passes) and turned to wait for me. When I caught up to him I told him that it was against the law to go outside in only your underwear and that if the police see people outside wearing only underwear they will stop and make them go home to get dressed. Grown-ups who do this might even be arrested. With Clark being a criminal attorney, Avery knows about jail and what being "arrested" means. Well our neighbor is a police officer and he happened to be home with his police car parked right out in front of his house. Avery suddenly became very nervous and was begging me to pick him up and carry him so that Jeff wouldn't see his underwear if he happened to look outside. I told Avery he was too heavy for me to carry all the way back home and he was just going to have to ride his scooter home. I told him that if we saw Jeff we would explain that it was an accident and Avery wouldn't do it again. He quickly rode his scooter home and dashed into the house so quickly I could hardly keep up with him. I decided not to say anything more to him once I entered the house. I just let it go, hoping he learned his lesson and this will be the end of his appearances in public in his underwear!
Friday, March 22
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is so funny!! What a great way to reason with him though. Hahaha!! So clever!
oh my gosh...I laugh everytime I hear this story :) He's keeping you young Jolie!
Post a Comment