Saturday, August 21

What Does the K say?

Wow!
I'm amazed!
Avery has learned all of the sounds of the alphabet letters.
He can also name and identify several letters.
He's only 20 months old!

I didn't intend to teach him this so early.
It just sort of happened.
I had purchased a DVD (Leapfrog's Letter Factory) and was previewing it to see if it would be good for my preschool age nephews.
Avery loved the movie and I soon discovered that he had learned the sounds of A, M and S from viewing it only once.
Whenever he saw these letters he would point to them and say the sound.

Now after one month he knows all of the letter sounds and can name many of the letters.
He loves finding letters in books and on signs and saying their sounds.
I've known for some time that Avery learns quickly and easily.
 But this is amazing to me...
especially after all my years of teaching first grade and seeing how so many children struggle to learn.
I'm so grateful for the blessing of having a child who is easily taught.
We'll have to be on our toes and nurture his eagerness for learning new things.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

That is amazing! I think I will see if our library has that video for Ava.

Now to answer your question about our blog book. I do it through blurb.com. It is a website where you can create books of all kinds. The blog book is neat because it "slurps" or take the blog post you select and then books them into a book. I have done this for the past 2 years. After the post are "slurped" into the book I go through it and change it how I want. You could just leave it the way they organize it or get creative. I love pictures, so I often change the layouts so the pictures are different. Sometimes I condense several post on one page if they are that important or if we have a big event it sometimes takes up several pages. It is a lot of fun. I wish you lived closer so I could show you a sample. I will try and blog about it soon with some pictures of the books.

We also made Ava's baby book this way. We didn't use our blog we just made a book called "365 days of Ava". We took a picture of her everyday and then made a book. We also included major milestones and measurements.

We also made a book for Ava about the adoption. It got the idea from the book called "Tell me again about the night I was born". We told the story from our point of view and with lots of pictures. We thought this would be a good way to talk to Ava when she is young about how she became our daughter. We called it "My Journey Home".

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helped. The website is blurb.com. I found it from a friend and it was pretty easy. The book for last year is much better because it is my second one. Let me know if you have anymore questions about it.

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely amazed at how fast your son is growing up. I appreciate all of your support. I look forward to more fun pictures of your family.